If you have a minute, please respond to this survey. It will help us know how to better improve the wiki. Thank you for your time!

Feed The Beast Wiki:Staff's Noticeboard/Archive/2016

From Feed The Beast Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Gc changes?

Following changes are being done by the bot, and should be seen as "common practice":

  • |dis=false is now removed, never use dis.
  • |link=false is now |link=none.
  • |2= with a blank param, or |2=1 should be removed.

Will probably make some other changes along the line as well, to help make everything standardized :D Cblair91 (talk) 04:18, 14 July 2015 (UTC)

|2=1 should also be deleted, if you haven't done that. Btw, you forgot to update the issue number :P -Xbony2 (talk) 15:03, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
We're not Minecraft Wiki-ing putting redirects left, right and centre right? Because that's a shit method instead of doing it properly with link. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 17:12, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
Well something I thought that may seem to be better is, all items be page named as "Item (Mod)", rather than "Item" page... That way, the main "Item" page can be a redirect/disambig as required? Though getting other staff's views may be better for that. Also on a note for Choco: It's better to have redirects than to /not/ have redirects. ^_^ There's not an issue with HAVING a redirect, even if it's never used, rather than NOT having a redirect, and it wanting to be used. Cblair91 (talk) 19:49, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
Making redirects back to a disambig page though? I deleted 12 of those, and that was just the IC2 ones I noticed.
Yup, that was a mess-up xD But hence why I brought to question, wouldn't it be better to use "Item (Mod)" page naming, that way it'll work out cleaner for redirects (and mean a lot less?), and for disambiguation pages :D Cblair91 (talk) 20:05, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
I've played with that idea before, but it would take a long time to change everything, even with bots. -Xbony2 (talk) 20:45, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
You're ignoring the fact suddenly everything needing a redirect is inverted and pretty much every page is broken. You'd pulverise the wiki for days (at least) with the amount of bot activity needed to fix everything. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 21:00, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
Okay Choco, imagine we do change over to "Item (Mod)"... My bot can rename the pages, my bot can fix up all links on other pages, it can make the process completely smooth. Sure, it'll take around 2 days to run through the 7k+ content pages, but surely it'd be better to have a proper standard? Something structured, which we don't have to do little fixes here and there in the modules/template to accommodate. Would you not say that is better? The cases where it would go through, I can program the bot to be so efficient and effective that it would make all the transition work, not break, and on top of that, not "derp up the wiki". Cblair91 (talk) 22:40, 14 July 2015 (UTC)
I think I'd prefer if everything was "Item (Mod)" and then then "Item" was either a redirect or a disambig. Of course care would need to be taken with regards to moving translated pages. If your bot tries to move a translated page and screws it up, there will be hell to pay. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 06:59, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
That's about the only exception, it can't handle moving translation pages via API. So they'll have to be done manually :P BUT means we can fix the translation markups on a LOT of pages before we move them :D Cblair91 (talk) 07:37, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
Xbony2, are you okay with moving all the translated pages yourself? πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 09:38, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
I'll be assisting him with all the translation page moving, and probably overseeing the project, making sure it runs smooth etc. So will be doing a bulk of work myself :) Cblair91 (talk) 11:03, 15 July 2015 (UTC)

Yeah. -Xbony2 (talk) 11:29, 15 July 2015 (UTC)

But a perm ban if you don't use a bot account to do it ok? Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 18:09, 15 July 2015 (UTC)

Any bulk changes will be VIA bot, but some stuff where I'm fixing pages while I'm going won't be bot accounted (e.g. when I'm cleaning up the G template on the page before moving) Cblair91 (talk) 18:18, 15 July 2015 (UTC)

This will also require a brief re-examination of {{NI}} and {{NID}}. As disambiguation would be the new default, for sanity {{NI}} would need to be modified to default to disambiguated links (and thus {{NID}} would become obsolete). -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 07:58, 17 July 2015 (UTC)

Votes

Votes regarding the overhaul of {{G}} to {{Gc}}, and of the page naming standards to "Item (Mod)".

There must be at least 5 accepting votes for this to pass (as majority based vote from staff)
  • Yes check.pngSupport. Yup Cblair91 (talk) 20:00, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
  • X mark.pngOppose. - This is xbony and Cblair point waring. On a less stop spamming the recent changes point, the current system is fine and makes linking much more obvious than every normal item page being a disambig page to the one mod that has that item. Everything is wired to use it and will inevitably go wrong, causing the entire wiki to be broken for weeks (if not months) as bugs are discovered, and there has been little planning past "oh sure we'll do it", despite the great risk of crashing everything when you press the wrong button. Also, Retep will do silly things he'd most likely regret after you guys fuck up an already overworked FuzzyBot and splatter translated pages everywhere. Silly things like this. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 20:32, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
      • That thing with the sex toys was totally an accident, I swear. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 23:49, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
    • Those sex toys must be in the yuppie parts of Portland. I haven't seen one in any neighborhood near my apt. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 21:57, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
    • Fuzzybot will talked to with devs, to make sure that it has a higher time rating (aka moves more pages per hour than normal). Also regarding the changes, we're not planning on doing it "right this moment", yes it will require planning, that will be discussed at the staff meeting. All the systems will be fixed to support both while under transition, and then changed to support the new system when done. Cblair91 (talk) 23:32, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
    • Note 2: If there is only one item with the item name, that page would be a REDIRECT to the "Item (Mod)" page, where in cases a second one comes, it's easy swap to a disambig, no page moving needed, no link updating needed. That's the point, before it would link to said page, but when that becomes a disambig, EVERY link to that page, then needs to update to the "Item (Mod)" page anyway? So surely doing this by default, would mean we DON'T have to update every link occurrence? Cblair91 (talk) 23:53, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
  • Yes check.pngSupport. Sorry about the Recent Changes, but it's not really not that bad. Some/many things may be broken and will take a while to repair, but I do believe it will be worth it in the end. FuzzyBot will very likely be fine, the week-long translation period he did before seems to be over, he finished updating {{Staff}} in about 10-20 minutes which is pretty damn good. -Xbony2 (talk) 21:33, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
  • Yellow check.pngNeutral. I don't want to push forward with this yet. I'd prefer to hold off until I feel more ready. To clarify, I am in favor of using Item (Mod) for all pages and having Item be either a redirect or disambig, however I am not comfortable with doing those mass edits at the moment. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 23:49, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
    • What do you mean by that? -Xbony2 (talk) 23:53, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
      • I wanna write a cool program to gather various statistics on the overall network of pages and links including redirects and such, in Rust of course. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 23:58, 15 July 2015 (UTC)
        • Rust scrub :P Don't stall it though, mkay? You aren't really known for getting things done :P -Xbony2 (talk) 00:12, 16 July 2015 (UTC)
  • X mark.pngOppose per Chocohead. I don't see the point of this mostly unneeded and dangerous operation. Or I might not be that familiar with this system... — NickTheRed37 t/c β€’ FTBWiki Translator 06:53, 16 July 2015 (UTC)
    • Lets put it this way: Item released, we make page "Item", create all Gc templates to it. Another item released with same name. We move the original "Item" page over to "Item (Mod)", same with the new item. We have to go back and update all Gc occurrences to the new page, rather than the disambig. New system: That's already in place, we don't have to update ANY Gc occurrences. Cblair91 (talk) 13:32, 16 July 2015 (UTC)
      • Can we just update Gc's with bots instead? We have 7 bots that can work concurrently. — NickTheRed37 t/c β€’ FTBWiki Translator 05:56, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
        • Part of Gc has already been edited with bots (the removal of the 'dis' parameter and 'link=false' to 'link=none'). Fixing G is a bit more difficult for bots to automate though, since it needs to come up with a mod parameter to convert it into Gc (very few G uses have supplied mod parameters). -Xbony2 (talk) 11:25, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
          • why has dis been removed? Thats utterly stupid since many, many pages depend heavily on that parameter. Unless someone took yhe time to run a bot to fix all used of it (i don't remember this happening), there are now probably millions of redlinks all over the wiki. This should not have been done without discussing it with the rest of the staff first, and taking the proper procedures before changing it. You cant just willy nilly remove parameters and templates because you personally want a specific change done to how we do things. (Not specifically directed at you xbony btw) -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 18:24, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
Meet the million relink bot: http://ftb.gamepedia.com/index.php?title=Special:Contributions/Cblair91Bot&offset=20150714014839&limit=250&target=Cblair91Bot
Each one of those changes removes dis without replacing it with link. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 20:08, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
Jesus fucking Christ. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 00:22, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
I count about 1500 page removals, which bearing in mind a crafting grid could have up to 10 in... There will be a very high potential for over 10,000 broken Gc links at this point. It's like G? but 10x worse if we don't revert them immediately and patch the differences for pages that have changed since it. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 01:19, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
I could easily write a script for my bot to go through all those edits and roll them back. However, it would not be able to handle pages that have changed since the bot did its shit. That would need to be checked and done manually. Should I do this, for the time being while this whole situation is dealt with properly? -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 08:45, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
I say yes. The longer we leave it the more pages are modified and will have to be fixed manually. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 09:46, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
I have done it, though it failed on quite a few. See the Wiki Talk forum for the list of pages it failed on. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 21:57, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
I put the list below this so the pages can be crossed off/removed when they're done. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 22:41, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
  • X mark.pngOppose. Chocohead pretty much covered it. My main issue with it is its pointlessness. I'm also leaning towards Neutral for the same reason as Peter, but I still oppose. Idk I'm stoned. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 08:03, 16 July 2015 (UTC)
  • Yellow check.pngNeutral. From a structural standpoint, this actually makes sense. As the number of pages, mods, and items covered increases, we're going to be crashing into more and more disambiguation issues. This being said, it is really annoying that disambiguated page [[links]] are twice as long as normal page links. To that end I propose a new mini-template (that I was probably going to make one of these days anyway) that accepts a page link and a mod name/mod ID and places a disambiguated page link that is both shorter to code and easier to read when editing, compared with the standard [[link (disambig)|link]].
    Will this be annoying to go through with? Probably. In lots of places and ways. But as Nick points out, probably without fully knowing what he is invoking but also probably correctly, we have the power of automation. Mass automation. We can rebuild the {{Gc}}s, we have the technology. The thing is though, as Chocohead points out, we need to do a little more than simply say "do it". If we attack this the way we attacked G? six months ago, it would go much better than if we attack it the way we have attacked the list of suggestions I collected from /r/feedthebeast 3 months ago.
    Also if nothing else this might be a way of making Peter do something. (If we get too held up on that though... someone may decide to invoke {{WP:BOLD}}.) -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 07:53, 17 July 2015 (UTC)
    • Vote changed from Support to Neutral following the overly BOLD removal of the dis= parameter. That parameter is removable, but it is NOT safe to delete from the entire wiki until AFTER the entire re-linking has been completed. Removal of dis= should be literally the second-to-last step of this process, because even while dis=false is present, the {{Gc}}s would link to non-disambiguated pages, which is at least a pointer in the right direction (and, if the original "leave redirects behind" plan was kept, would be still leaving good functional links). As it is, deleting dis= first creates a pointless linking disaster. -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 02:21, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
  • Yellow check.pngNeutral. I have to admit that I'm seriously out of the loop on this issue due to a lot of things like final exams period and holidays. I'm not quite sure what recent changes drama has gone on; so would someone be able to briefly describe the problem (assuming there is one with the current system) and what your actually proposing to do. --Wolfman_123_ Β· βœ‰FTB Wiki Staff 01:11, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
There's no problem, just Cblair and xbony want more wiki points. Cblair also took it upon herself to break Gc by removing dis without fixing the links with link. They want to change it so every page has "Name (Mod)" but have totally overlooked everything that doesn't expect that to happen and was never designed for it (the bee and tree stuff for example, but pretty much every template would be affected). Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 01:19, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
^ Oh, and regarding the Recent Changes stuff, xbony and Cblair like using their normal accounts as bots, hence the masses of spam.
Speaking of which. Both of you need to knock it off. Seriously. You have bots for a reason. Use them. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 08:39, 18 July 2015 (UTC)
X mark.pngOppose. Okay I agree that removing dis is a very, very bad idea. Like you said a large portion of pages and templates are built around it due to the simple fact that the " (Mod)" formatting is not ideal for every page we maintain on this wiki. As for point whoring I can't really comment on the issue as I haven't been around, however I do agree that the amount of spam in recent changes is beyond ridiculous. Listen to Santa and use your bots, that's the why we all have them ffs. --Wolfman_123_ Β· βœ‰FTB Wiki Staff 03:08, 21 July 2015 (UTC)

Pages still requiring fixing

Cross them off/remove them when you do them so we have an idea what is still left. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 22:41, 18 July 2015 (UTC)

Firework Display
Flux Plate Mold
Bow Mold
Sickle Mold
Boots Mold
Leggings Mold
Chestplate Mold
Helmet Mold
Hoe Mold
Shovel Mold
Sword Mold
Axe Mold
Pickaxe Mold
Stairs Mold
Slab Mold
Block Mold
Ingot Mold (Foundry)
Blank Soft Mold
Refractory Hopper
Material Router
Alloy Furnace (Foundry)
Refractory Fluid Container
Metal Infuser
Alloy Mixer
Refractory Casing
Refractory Brick
Refractory Clay
Heating Coil
Metal Caster
Induction Crucible Furnace
Machine Chassis
Blank Module
Item Output
Mixed Sand
Mixed Dirt
Hemp Seed Oil
Hemp
Hemp Seeds
Steamed Imphide
Steam Tank (GregTech 4)
Automatic Recycler
Automatic Canning Machine
Automatic Compressor
Automatic Extractor
Automatic E-Furnace
Destructopack
Redstone Wand
Energy Input
Fluid Input
Item Input
Fluidic Nether Portal
Flux Pipe
Fluid Pipe (Engineer's Toolbox)
Spray Paint
Solar Panel (Engineer's Toolbox)
Electronic Circuit (Engineer's Toolbox)
Power Management Device
Engineer's Wrench
Modular Socket
Electric Heat Generator
Charging Lapotron Crystal
Charging Energy Crystal
Advanced Charging Battery
Charging RE Battery
Solid Heat Generator
Advanced Miner
Tritter Boots Tier II
Tritter Leggings Tier II
Tritter Chestplate Tier II
Tritter Helmet Tier II
Tritter Boots
Tritter Leggings
Tritter Chestplate
Tritter Helmet
Vrutri Boots Tier II
Vrutri Leggings Tier II
Vrutri Chestplate Tier II
Vrutri Helmet Tier II
Vrutri Boots
Vrutri Leggings
Vrutri Chestplate
Vrutri Helmet
Olite Boots Tier II
Olite Leggings Tier II
Olite Chestplate Tier II
Olite Helmet Tier II
Olite Boots
Olite Leggings
Olite Chestplate
Olite Helmet
Redur Boots Tier II
Redur Leggings Tier II
Redur Chestplate Tier II
Redur Helmet Tier II
Redur Boots
Redur Leggings
Redur Chestplate
Redur Helmet
Frevinite Boots Tier II
Frevinite Leggings Tier II
Frevinite Chestplate Tier II
Frevinite Helmet Tier II
Frevinite Boots
Frevinite Leggings
Frevinite Chestplate
Frevinite Helmet
Trivu Boots Tier II
Trivu Leggings Tier II
Trivu Chestplate Tier II
Trivu Helmet Tier II
Trivu Boots
Trivu Leggings
Trivu Chestplate
Trivu Helmet
Unix Boots Tier II
Unix Leggings Tier II
Unix Chestplate Tier II
Unix Helmet Tier II
Unix Boots
Unix Leggings
Unix Chestplate
Unix Helmet
Frav Boots Tier II
Frav Leggings Tier II
Frav Chestplate Tier II
Frav Helmet Tier II
Frav Boots
Frav Leggings
Frav Chestplate
Frav Helmet
Slippery Blocks
Stone Dust
Porcelain Clay
Silk Mesh
Windmeter
Fertilizer (IndustrialCraft 2)
Energypack
Advanced Batpack
Ermyst Chestplate Tier II
Trivu Stick
Redtri Horse Armor
Brunim Horse Armor
Tritter Horse Armor
Shadow Horse Armor
Vrutri Horse Armor
Olite Horse Armor
Redur Horse Armor
Frevinite Horse Armor
Trivu Horse Armor
Unix Horse Armor
Frav Horse Armor
Oni Horse Armor
Ermyst Horse Armor
Redtri Pickaxe Tier II
Redtri Shovel
Redtri Axe
Redtri Sword
Energy Flow Circuit (GregTech 4)
Data Control Circuit (GregTech 4)
Ermyst Helmet Tier II
Ermyst Boots
Ermyst Leggings
Ermyst Chestplate
Ermyst Helmet
Clockwork Mechanism
Brass Pocket-Watch
Insulated Copper Wire
Advanced Circuit Parts (GregTech 4)
Copper Wire
User:ESAEBSAD/Sandbox2
Tungsten
Enderium
Small Coal Boiler (GregTech 4)
Meteor Shield
Kreknorite Ingot
Kreknorite Block
Frozen Iron Block
Drak Stone
Sandy Coal Compound (Project Red)
Sky Stone (The Mists of RioV)
Redtri Pickaxe
Healing Axe
Block of Red Meteor Gem
Meteorite Block
Meteorite Ingot
Meteorite Hoe
Meteorite Spade
Meteorite Pickaxe
Meteorite Axe
Meteorite Sword
Anvil (The Mists of RioV)
Encyclopedia Aura
Brunim Shovel Tier II
Brunim Axe Tier II
Brunim Sword Tier II
Brunim Pickaxe Tier II
Brunim Shovel
Brunim Axe
Brunim Sword
Brunim Pickaxe
Enhancer
Ermyst Shovel Tier II
Ermyst Axe Tier II
Ermyst Shovel
Ermyst Axe
Small Power Unit
Iridium Drill
Gold
Ermyst Sword Tier II
Ermyst Sword
Redstone Inlay
Extra Trees Fluids
Ermyst Pickaxe Tier II
Ermyst Pickaxe
Sky Planks
Cer Planks
Trivu Block
Dark Matter Axe
Dark Matter Shovel
Dark Matter Hammer
Dark Matter Pickaxe
Dark Matter Sword
Ermyst Block
Shadow Block
Relay MK2
Tin Cable
Twisting Band
Steam Heater (Flaxbeard's Steam Power)
User:Xbony2
Basic Wood Cutter
Miner
Advanced Lappack
Advanced Chainsaw
Solar Panel (IndustrialCraft 2)
Steel
Plasma Generator
Storage Block
Storage Segment
Storage Cell
Gold Cable
IDSU
Advanced NanoChestPlate
Magic Energy Absorber
Dragon Egg Energy Siphon
Thermal Generator
Semifluid Generator
Lightning Rod
Fusion Coil
Generator (IndustrialCraft 2)
Nuke
Red Alloy Ingot (RedPower 2)
RE-Battery
Aluminum
Lead
Iron Furnace
Mining Well
Combustion Engine
Transformer (Immersive Engineering)

Translated Versions of Pages

Module:Infobox/thing/en-gb
Bricked Steel Hull/ru
Module:Infobox/thing/de
Bricked Steel Hull/de
User:Xbony2/backups/Portable Tank/de
User:Xbony2/backups/Combustion Engine/pt-br
User:NickTheRed37/Old-Style Translations/Resonant Ender/de
User:NickTheRed37/Old-Style Translations/Energized Glowstone/de
User:Xbony2/backups/Destabilized Redstone/de
User:Xbony2/backups/Stirling Engine/pt-br
User:Xbony2/backups/Stirling Engine/de
User:Xbony2/backups/Multimeter/de
User:Xbony2/backups/Spot Loader/de
User:Xbony2/backups/Forge Lexicon/de
User:Xbony2/backups/OmniWrench/de
User:Xbony2/backups/EnderPouch/es
User:Xbony2/backups/EnderChest/es
User:Xbony2/backups/Iron Chest/es
User:Xbony2/backups/Chute/es
User:Xbony2/backups/Wrench (BuildCraft)/fr
User:Xbony2/backups/Copper Chest/es
User:Xbony2/backups/Combustion Engine/es
User:Xbony2/backups/Stirling Engine/ru
User:Xbony2/backups/Chute/ru
User:Xbony2/backups/Iron Chest/ru
User:Xbony2/backups/Copper Chest/ru
User:Xbony2/backups/Wrench (BuildCraft)/ru
User:Xbony2/backups/Combustion Engine/ru
User:Xbony2/backups/Combustion Engine/it
User:Xbony2/backups/Combustion Engine/de

And so the problems have been fixed, only 180 days after first being caused. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 13:39, 10 January 2016 (UTC)

Reupload a file

For some reason, autoconfirmed users cannot reupload files (which is something I highly disagree with for any wiki, especially after being a long time contributor at the Minecraft Wiki, but that is another topic for another place). So I figured I would post a reupload request here.

I would like to upload this image as a new version of File:GUI High Oven Solid.png, as the icon should not be shown when an item is in the slot, and there is never a case of a solid recipe with no output (thus just removing the icon saves code/effort). –KnightMiner t/c 16:07, 3 November 2015 (UTC)

Yes check.pngDone. This wiki uses a somewhat despotic staff system, putting users in uneven conditions. Luckily I was accepted as a Russian translator in the team a long time ago. β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 16:15, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
if you have complaints voice them to the admins (retep and I) or put them on the issue tracker -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 17:06, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
According to Special:ListGroupRights, users have the upload right but do not have either the reupload or reupload-own right. I think we should give out at least reupload-own to autoconfirmed users and reupload to editors. What do you think TheSatanicSanta? Anyway, if we do decide to change the rights, we'd have to ask Gamepedia and they'd have to do the change. As for you Nick, if you have any suggestions on how to improve the staff system, feel free to provide suggestions rather than just criticizing us for being despotic. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 19:28, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
While discussing user rights, can the move, movefile, and suppressredirect rights also be added to either the autoconfirmed or editor group? Move page vandalism is very rare from autoconfirmed users from what I've seen on other wikis (and even more rare from appointed usergroups), and its just about as easy to revert as any other edit. –KnightMiner t/c 22:40, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
I think we should add reupload-own, move-own, and suppressredirect to either editor or reviewer (see issue #27). -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 00:15, 4 November 2015 (UTC)
An β€œeditor” is a more general group. I would also agree with KnightMiner being appointed as an editor. β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 15:34, 5 November 2015 (UTC)

Modpack Namespace

Proposed idea: Create a new wiki Namespace specifically for modpacks. This would mean that pages about modpacks (like Infinity 1.7 / FTB Infinity Evolved), in stead of being at the address http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Infinity_1.7, would be at the address http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Modpack/Infinity_1.7. -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 18:56, 5 January 2016 (UTC)

If we are talking about an actual namespace, it would be Modpack:Infinity 1.7 rather than Modpack/Infinity 1.7. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 19:02, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
why? -Xbony2 (talk) 22:54, 5 January 2016 (UTC)

Redefining Stubs

As per IRC conversation, I think we should redefine what we currently consider stubs. Right now, stubs are just subjectively short articles. However, some pages really can't have much information, thus making them stubs and clogging our backlog and maintenance categories. I think Retep998 gave a good new definition of stub: I think a stub should be defined as a page that is lacking a significant amount of information. For things that are simply a component, having a recipe and saying what they are a component for is the most you can do, and would make them not a stub. For more advanced things they could have a ton written on them relative to a simple component, but still be a stub. What does everyone think? -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 23:16, 13 January 2016 (UTC)

When was it otherwise defined differently? My definition of a stub is a page lacking important information that could be desired. -Xbony2 (talk) 00:49, 14 January 2016 (UTC)
We used Wikipedia's definition, which is a bit different. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 01:36, 15 January 2016 (UTC)

Mod dumping

Needs dumping: http://assets.betadev.co.uk/FTB/ <3 Cblair91 (talk) 11:26, 10 February 2016 (UTC) edit: Added more mods to be dumped. Will be working on them shortly ;3 kfnx, bai Cblair91 (talk) 11:35, 10 February 2016 (UTC)

Alright, working on it cbutt. -Xbony2 (talk) 11:51, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
TDM done ESAEBSAD (talk) 12:20, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
4Space (FPSA) done. -Xbony2 (talk) 12:40, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
ASC done -Xbony2 (talk) 12:44, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
GSG done -Xbony2 (talk) 12:47, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
QF done -Xbony2 (talk) 12:52, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
RR done. I'll finish up the last 3 later today. -Xbony2 (talk) 12:57, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
FPSA, TDM need updating, NEI dumping black images? Re-uploaded these. Cblair91 (talk) 13:24, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
TDM isn't going to be updated for a little while due to some technical issues, but I'll work on the other ones. -Xbony2 (talk) 23:59, 10 February 2016 (UTC)
I lied a bit FPSA won't be updated for a little while either >.> I'm pretty sure I can still make the others though. -Xbony2 (talk) 00:18, 11 February 2016 (UTC)
SFLUX done. -Xbony2 (talk) 00:30, 11 February 2016 (UTC)
SMT done -Xbony2 (talk) 00:36, 11 February 2016 (UTC)
TAR has a few missing textures; I'd like you to either update it or verify that it's okay. -Xbony2 (talk) 00:37, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

TODO list for bony:

  • Update tiles for FPSA and TDM, the recreated images are already uploaded.
  • Create TAR tilesheet when cbutt looks at it. TAR done -Xbony2 (talk) 12:27, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

-Xbony2 (talk) 00:39, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

Okay Cbutt, it's all done. I had to manually delete every tile in TDM and it was awful. Very boring, very sad. Anyway, it's done now. -Xbony2 (talk) 17:29, 13 February 2016 (UTC)

Add Railcraft's Block of Coal Coke to blockFuelCoke

Railcraft's Block of Coal Coke is missing from the oredict entry for blockFuelCoke, despite having that oredict name in game. Can someone please add it there as the entry is used on High Oven? –KnightMiner t/c 19:11, 22 February 2016 (UTC)

Got it. -Xbony2 (talk) 22:01, 22 February 2016 (UTC)

Lua-based {{O}}

Somehow, even though I'm stupid with this sort of thing, I created a lua version of {{G/O}} at User:Xbony2/Sandbox/O and Module:OreDict. From my testing, it appears to be faster. But I'd like a code review before changing {{G/O}} though. -Xbony2 (talk) 16:12, 15 February 2016 (UTC)

One of the timing tests: Calling a singular {{O|ingotCopper}} on my sandbox gives the CPU time usage of 0.252 seconds and the Real time usage of 0.436 seconds. Calling {{User:Xbony2/Sandbox/O|ingotCopper}} gives the CPU time usage of 0.128 seconds seconds and the Real time usage of 0.215 seconds. This can give many varying results, but the lua-based seems to be faster. -Xbony2 (talk) 16:19, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
If the results were not made up, then apparently this is the reason Minecraft Wiki prefers Lua-based sprites over extension-based sprites. The reason being the fact that Lua is faster. β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 16:27, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
The speed-up here is mostly from cutting out {{#if}} and replacing it with lua's if statement; it still is technically extension-based. -Xbony2 (talk) 16:31, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
Oh, my bad. I am wondering: would a Lua-only sprite system rival an extension-based one in speed and efficiency? β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 16:51, 16 February 2016 (UTC)
I don't think it would be possible. I'm not sure how a Scribunto module accessing the wiki's database would work. Unless you wanted to just shove literally every tilesheet into its own module with its own tile definitions, but that would be horribly complicated. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 17:18, 16 February 2016 (UTC)
You wouldn't be able to do it purely in Module code unless you stored the location of every item on the stored tilesheets somewhere, which would get very slow to go through compared to a proper database. It wouldn't rival an extension in speed or efficiency in the end. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 22:00, 16 February 2016 (UTC)
Then, I guess, I would consider discussing the extension with GreenStone. I also consider making changes to the extension to make it as stand-alone as possible, so it would be compatible with any wiki without complications. β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 16:47, 17 February 2016 (UTC)
It's always going to be directly tied to the Tilesheets extension, but that's probably the only immovable dependency. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 18:16, 17 February 2016 (UTC)
β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
Sorry, what? β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 15:12, 18 February 2016 (UTC)
As it stands the only dependency it has is the tilesheet extension, and you'd be re-writing most of it if you removed that. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 18:37, 18 February 2016 (UTC)
You didn’t understand me. I want to make sure the extension is usable on any wiki. β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 15:11, 19 February 2016 (UTC)
The tilesheet extension should work just fine on other wikis. The oredict extension depends on the tilesheet extension but I believe the tilesheet extension should work without the oredict extension. To get the tilesheet extension working you just need the relevant database tables and a few templates, mainly {{G/Cell}}, along with the CSS to display the results correctly. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 15:53, 19 February 2016 (UTC)
More relevant test: using {{O}} on Bronze Hull (which we'll consider an "average page") gives the CPU time usage of 0.620 seconds and Real time usage of 1.276 seconds. Using my template gives the the CPU time usage of 0.352 seconds and Real time usage of 0.656 seconds. Pretty good, huh? -Xbony2 (talk) 16:36, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
The only issue with my version is that it will ignore the "n-animated" variable that KnightMiner added. I don't know if that's used anywhere, but it probably is. -Xbony2 (talk) 16:41, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
ESAEBSAD will be investigating this. -Xbony2 (talk) 16:50, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
I support this. I tested it as well, and it had a 2x performance boost when using your module. I'd like to hear what Kyth has to say about your code, though. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 17:34, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
Just ran a benchmark of 25 entries using O and User:Xbony2/Sandbox/O. With O, 1.964 seconds CPU time, 3.063 seconds real time. With your new stuff, 1.416 seconds CPU time, 2.359 seconds real time. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 17:57, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
It's Kythyria >.> n-animated doesn't seem to be used anywhere; looping through the entire wiki didn't work so well, but going through KnightMiner's contributions (Tinkers' Steelworks) shows he hasn't used it. I looked at his pages since he's the most likely person to use that functionality because he's the one who introduced it. -Xbony2 (talk) 22:15, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
Actually, "n-animated" is used internally by {{n}}, as I don't see why you should need to set the "no-anim" parameter for each usage of the template when {{n}} can automatically do that. That being said, all that is needed to make it work is a simple call to frame:callParserFunction.
Also, part of the reason for the performance increase has to do with the expansion of arguments, Lua is a lot more efficient when it comes to that, especially when you are just passing every argument on as is (like the original version did). –KnightMiner t/c 00:46, 18 February 2016 (UTC)
I just noticed an issue with the module. Currently, when {{O}} is called with "no-anim", the wrapping span tag is removed, but when {{User:Xbony2/Sandbox/O}} is called with "no-anim" set, the span tag is kept, as shown here it causes an issue. I have a fixed version here if you wish to copy that (as I was not sure if you minded me editing the module before release). I did end up having to use a table rather than mw.html though as the span tag cannot be relied as constant. –KnightMiner t/c 20:59, 18 February 2016 (UTC)
My is module isn't used yet, so you can modify it if you want. -Xbony2 (talk) 22:19, 18 February 2016 (UTC)
Okay, so unless anyone objects, I'll move the contents of {{User:Xbony2/Sandbox/O}} to {{O}}. -Xbony2 (talk) 12:21, 22 February 2016 (UTC)
And it's done! If anyone notices any issues, please report them. -Xbony2 (talk) 23:06, 23 February 2016 (UTC)

Minechem

Minechem images are all wrong. For crafting recipes, they're showing the "liquid" version of the item, where as in NEI/ingame, they use the actual element "tube". Cblair91 (talk) 16:20, 8 February 2016 (UTC)

Not all is wrong ... Hydrogen_(H) is already correct. I could not correct the other elements yet, because I have barely time ... and several construction zones :/ . --LuminousLizard de-native / "en-B2" (talk)
I have all recipes fixed. Section can be archived. --LuminousLizard de-native / "en-B2" (talk) 09:55, 28 February 2016 (UTC)

My activity

I’m currently focused on Russian Minecraft Wiki, aiming to update it to the level of the English Minecraft Wiki. I rarely do edits on other wikis, but I’m still free to be contacted.

I don’t focus on translating this wiki right know, but articles on mods at Russian Minepedia keep obsoleting, plus this wiki documents more mods than the Russian wiki, so translating it can still be useful, probably until Russian wiki’s articles are created or updated. β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 17:51, 28 February 2016 (UTC)

I think your English has gotten worse since you've become inactive ;)
So... you're planning to become inactive until the RU.MCW is sorted out, and then you will come back and possibly translate stuff? -Xbony2 (talk) 21:51, 28 February 2016 (UTC)
I don’t know. But theoretically I could do something here as a β€œbreak” from editing Russian Minepedia. And once again, I still can be freely contacted. β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 14:52, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

The addition of inline cleanup templates

I think the addition of inline cleanup templates could be used for clarification of problems in articles, especially in longer articles like guides. I propose that we create inline cleanup templates for most of the section/article cleanup templates, as well as the ones described here. What do y'all think? -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 03:05, 1 March 2016 (UTC)

Some of these are stupid- it's really not that hard to just fix it yourself. How can you be lazy enough to type {{Expand acronym}} but not type "Energy Units (EU)"? None of the acronyms used so far are really that mysterious.
Same with disambiguation- it requires a bit more work, but it's really not that hard to just fix when you see it. There's also {{Propose move}} and Special:WhatLinksHere
"Peacock term" is something I don't think we need to be inline. {{Tone}} is basically the un-inline version of this.
Quantify could be useful, but eh...
"Awkward" and "Technical" are the same as "Peacock term". Our articles are not so big that we need inline templates. Pictogram voting oppose.pngOpposing these. -Xbony2 (talk) 12:26, 1 March 2016 (UTC)
Pictogram voting oppose.pngNo {{Expand acronym}} is the only one I see as nearly useful, but it is more effort to do that than fix it properly. Inline cleanup is quite annoying anyway. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 18:14, 1 March 2016 (UTC)

{{Cg}} Examples on Machine Pages

Idea: Should pages about machines or devices for which we have {{Cg}} templates have an either blank or filled example of that {{Cg}} on them? This idea comes from the fact that there are currently some machine pages that have screenshots of their GUIs, but we built the {{Cg}}s to make it so we don't need to use screenshots. -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 21:12, 5 October 2015 (UTC)

Sort of like Anvil (The Mists of RioV)#Example Operations and Dire Crafting Table#Example operation? -Xbony2, Master of Feed The Beast Wiki (talk) 21:18, 5 October 2015 (UTC)
Yes we should have an example for each machine using their respective Cg template. It should be placed in the Usage section on the machine's page, maybe under a subsection of the Usage section. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 04:23, 6 October 2015 (UTC)
That’s a good idea. I agree with how Retep wants to position it. β€”Β Agent NickTheRed37 (Kirk to Enterprise) β€” Russian Translator and Minepedian 15:03, 6 October 2015 (UTC)

Official Documenter Request [Reika's Mods]

Due to his - somewhat rare - level of experience with my mods and willingness to work on the documentation - using the latest versions at that - I would like to appoint Luke127/LC14199/Luke14199 as the first official documenter for my mods. At some point in the future, I may request others (as I would ideally like to have multiple people to cover gaps in understanding or availability as well as potentially different viewpoints) in the future as they come forward (to make such a request to me, PM me on FTB or MC forums, or on IRC or reddit).

This applies to all mods, not just RC, CC, or even the "big" ones.

ReikaKalseki (talk) 07:52, 6 March 2016 (UTC)

Thanks :) Santa/Retep will give him the proper wiki rights and stuff, I can only give him the title. -Xbony2 (talk) 13:04, 6 March 2016 (UTC)
Yeah, whatever. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 14:46, 6 March 2016 (UTC)


Documenter Request for [MoreDimensions]

Because I'm too busy lately with alot of stuffs affecting my personal life, I would like someone to documentation one of my mods called MoreDimensions. I will be reviewing the given information and i would do fixes if needed, and if it possible someone to do documentation of all my current mods, Thanks again :) --sokratis12GR (talk) 22:56, 8 March 2016 (UTC)

Technically speaking, none of the staff are really supposed to document mods outside of FTB packs unless you appoint them. So if you can find someone to do it, that would be good. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 22:58, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
How can I appoint them ? --sokratis12GR (talk) 23:00, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
See Appointing someone. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 23:01, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
Yeah, I have read this. But I Don't know who to appoint, because i don't know if he is busy or not... --sokratis12GR (talk) 23:04, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
Can I appoint My self for a documenter until i find a person to do it ? --sokratis12GR (talk) 23:15, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
I'm not sure why you'd want to appoint yourself, given you said you're looking for someone to document your mod for you because you're going to be too busy. Kinda silly to appoint someone who won't have time to do it. All you gotta do is find some person out there in the world who would be willing to write documentation on your mod here and then appoint them. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 23:19, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
Yes, I said I'm too busy, but still I have some free time like 1-2 hours, but this will be just for until Saturday School On Saturday sucks. And if not, Retep998 do you have any suggestions on where to find a person ? --sokratis12GR (talk) 23:25, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
"but this will be just until Saturday", I mean that I will be busy Until this date. --sokratis12GR (talk) 23:27, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
If you're only going to be busy until Saturday then I'm not sure why you'd go through the bother of appointing someone to document your mod for you for just a few days. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 23:39, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
So can I appoint my self ? I will also be translating small amounts of informations or some pages to bulgarian within these days. --sokratis12GR (talk) 23:43, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
You can appoint anyone you want (so long as they are willing) to be the curator for your mod's documentation, including yourself if you so desire. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 23:52, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
Then, I Want to appoint my self for a curator of all of my mods --sokratis12GR (talk) 23:54, 8 March 2016 (UTC)

Problem with SheetImporter

I have a problem with the SheetImporter. I wanted to add the new stuff from Mariculture, but the SheetImporter stops loading after a sec and the side is blank ... whether I use 100, 50 or only 1 item ! --LuminousLizard (Wiki Staff and Editor) de-N / "en-2" (talk) 22:00, 7 April 2016 (UTC)

Are you on the right page? You know it's called CreateTileSheet right? If you're on the right page, can you provide a screenshot of what happens? I don't really understand what you mean. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 00:05, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
  1. I use the link from the Tilesheet update guide
  2. Introduce the data
  3. Click "Save" and after 1 sec this page appears (The page does not load on)

--LuminousLizard (Wiki Staff and Editor) de-N / "en-2" (talk) 06:17, 8 April 2016 (UTC)

Same problem with the tilesheet for PneumaticCraft. It is not the first time that I update (BuildCraft, Project Red), or create (FirePeripherals) a tilesheet. So far I never had problems with the Sheet Importer. Mhhh .... for everything there is a problem for me. --LuminousLizard (Wiki Staff and Editor) de-N / "en-2" (talk) 18:30, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
After three days of trying, with both accounts and without Firefox plugins, I give up and have no desire to occupy myself with it any longer. Should someone else enter the items into the TileList (SheetImporter). I have uploaded the lists for Mariculture and PneumaticCraft, with the items and their coordinates, on the respectively 32px tilesheet page:

--LuminousLizard (Wiki Staff and Editor) de-N / "en-2" (talk) 08:26, 9 April 2016 (UTC)

Just tested and I can't import tiles either through the web interface. I blame TheSatanicSanta. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 09:46, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
it's probably a db issue, so I'll ask alexia this week about it. Before I do that, can someone test it through the web API? If the API works, it's a problem with the special page itself. The only thing I've changed recently was a bug in the delete sheet API, so I don't see how it would be an issue in the extension itself. Also, it works fine on my local installation. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 15:44, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
I believe this is fixed as of the latest version of Tilesheets. -Xbony2 (talk) 19:29, 22 April 2016 (UTC)
If it is then it wasn't my fault, and it was a DB issue. I didn't touch the sheetimporter for 3.0.0 or 3.0.1. Those were purely translation updates. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 19:30, 22 April 2016 (UTC)

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜ It works great again and TheSatanicSanta is not to blame ^^. All outstanding things from my side (Mariculture, PneumaticCraft, Biomes O' Plenty) are incorporated. -- The preceding unsigned comment was added by LuminousLizard (talk β€’ contribs)

Auto-generated {{Mods}} List

See Template talk:Mods. I'm not sure what we would do about translating mod names... maybe it could automatically grab the mod article's title? That could work. -Xbony2 (talk) 13:33, 3 July 2015 (UTC)

Using magical powers to summon Retep998 and TheSatanicSanta ... I bet you've seen this already, but neither of you have responded to it. And you guys are the only ones who can edit the main page anyway (going to bother Chocohead too cause why not). -Xbony2 (talk) 00:56, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
I've already seen this. I'll look into it soon. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 22:15, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
I have absolutely no idea how to do this. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 23:02, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
Choco does :P

Script error: The function "major" does not exist.

-Xbony2 (talk) 23:12, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
I added part of the language functionality. Below is a run for German.

Script error: The function "major" does not exist.

(see also)
The title part needs to be worked on though :P
-Xbony2 (talk) 11:18, 23 August 2015 (UTC)

Issues with new JS/Curse/MW

In the time since yesterday's Javascript edits (and whatever the heck Curse did to the servers), all multi-page Crafting Grids can no longer cycle between pages. They remain stuck to the first page. Additionally, the 'New Section' entry box at the top of the Staff Noticeboard is nonfunctional; attempting to use it bounces the editor to trying to add a new section to the Wiki Main Page (and gives them a permission error because the Main Page is protected). -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 09:44, 5 February 2016 (UTC)

I just fixed the New Section (that isn't Curse's fault, it's my own). But, it'll add to the very bottom and won't update the issue number, so... quick vote: should we remove the New Section bar or the issue count? (or maybe there's a clever solution that will automagically count the number of title bars, but that wouldn't be great if it increased the load time by a lot)
Navboxes default to being open. This is a bug. Ore Dictionary support is broken at the moment, but hopefully that'll be fixed soon (#BlameSanta).
Some extension shouldn't be here. I'll probably list them on the Administrators' Noticeboard instead. -Xbony2 (talk) 20:23, 5 February 2016 (UTC)
The navboxes defaulting to being open is because of the state parameters, by the way. If you remove the state parameter from the main {{Navbox}} call, it will close. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 19:37, 6 February 2016 (UTC)
I removed the input box. -Xbony2 (talk) 14:11, 7 February 2016 (UTC)
If we install my new extension I wrote today, HeaderCount, we can re-add and have that number automatically updated. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 22:59, 7 February 2016 (UTC)
It would still go outside the navbox/category tho. Maybe those could be moved to the top or something. -Xbony2 (talk) 12:06, 8 February 2016 (UTC)
I'd be okay with that. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 18:27, 8 February 2016 (UTC)
Having &mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop in the URL causes the wiki to return error 502, meaning the desktop version of Recent Changes can't be viewed on mobile. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 23:17, 7 February 2016 (UTC)
I reported that on the issue tracker. Hopefully someone at Curse will get around to fixing it soon. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 00:10, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
Related: Recent Changes on Mobile, I can't open the drop-down arrows that would show multiple individual edits to one page. The arrows seem not to be tappable objects. -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 19:13, 19 February 2016 (UTC)
That's been a sporadically occurring issue since we moved to GP. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 21:23, 19 February 2016 (UTC)

Adapt tilesheet if textures change

I have the problem that in Blood Magic the textures of the sigils (and some other stuff) changed from 1.7.10 to 1.8.9 (no, I don't use a texture pack). I think that now need to be adapted in the tilesheet ... but should I overwrite the old textures, or should I keep both in the tilesheet and then view both in the articles ? --LuminousLizard de-native / "en-2" (talk) 20:50, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

I decide to overwrite the old textures. --LuminousLizard FTB Wiki Staff de-N / "en-2" (talk) 19:06, 22 April 2016 (UTC)
I guess I'm late, but I also think that is the best course of action (I agree with overwriting the older textures). -Xbony2 (talk) 19:28, 22 April 2016 (UTC)

Missing Former Staff

[http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Feed_The_Beast_Wiki:FTB_Wiki_Staff - User Shadow - {Think he was british} missing from "Former Staff" -- The preceding unsigned comment was added by Darenton2k7 (talk β€’ contribs)

Will research, thanks. -Xbony2 (talk) 20:44, 15 May 2016 (UTC)
Darenton2k7: There was a user named Shadowhand17387, but he was not staff. Please inform us if you have any links or anything to suggest otherwise. Thanks though ^_^ -Xbony2 (talk) 20:52, 15 May 2016 (UTC)
Looking through old records found some interesting stuff though- there's a few more missing staff that I added. Also looking at all the old staff makes me a little sad, but it's important to keep in mind in the old days it was pretty easy to become staff, since that was the only way you could edit the wiki. -Xbony2 (talk) 21:09, 15 May 2016 (UTC)
I fixed your mistakes. Also, being staff was uncommon because of the wiki restrictions leading people to just use ftbwiki.org. It's probably easier to become staff now, because we nominate people much more than people request. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 03:40, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
The current staff are significantly more active though... the 4 most active users (by edits, not really the greatest measure) are all current staff. -Xbony2 (talk) 10:33, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-is-1-year-old.10881/ few people missing then go to page 3 of comments some dude called shadow :) but nishtown had a hand too -- The preceding unsigned comment was added by Darenton2k7 (talk β€’ contribs)
Darenton2k7: it appears Shadow was indeed part of the FTB Team. However, the list FTB Wiki Staff is only for wiki staff, which Shadow doesn't appear to be. Thank you for your help though :) -Xbony2 (talk) 00:03, 22 May 2016 (UTC)

Gc

I propose making {{G}} simply invoke {{Gc}}. I think most uses of {{G}} should continue to work fine for the most part. It would also let TheSatanicSanta get busy on removing the code in the oredict extension needed to support {{G}} making it much simpler which is good. What do other people think? Yay or nay? πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 09:26, 14 February 2016 (UTC)

Yay -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 09:27, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
(This is a rather informal vote) yay. I had to a plan to make {{G}} redirect to {{Gc}} after {{G}} was phased out, so old revisions of pages could be somewhat viewable, but doing it early is okay. -Xbony2 (talk) 10:17, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
Nay, it's much easier to know which pages still need fixing by the fact them using {{G}} adds them to a category than if it just redirected to {{Gc}} and therefore didn't. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 21:32, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
It would still add them to the category. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 21:34, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
Redirects can categorized, whether that is stupid or good I don't know. I'm not sure if that will work for templates, but just in case it is possible for {{G}} to "overload" {{Gc}} -Xbony2 (talk) 22:00, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
I still don't see where the benefits are, it's going to reduce the incentive further to ever truly get rid of {{G}} if it's quietly re-directed into {{Gc}}. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 22:24, 14 February 2016 (UTC)
There is a huge amount of code in the extension specifically for dealing with selecting things by item name instead of tag name and all the various flags for how that works. By being able to eliminate all that code the extension can become significantly smaller and simpler making it easier to identify and fix bugs as well as add better features. {{G}} currently works mostly and when redirected it'll still work mostly, it won't really be better or worse, but it will open that opportunity to improve the extension significantly. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 05:21, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
Maybe we should just prioritize removing G usage? -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 04:53, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
Maybe that's kind of what I've been doing? -Xbony2 (talk) 10:28, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
I mean, before anything else, we should remove all G usages. That's not what we've been doing. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 16:27, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
It's done. I did a dab in celebration. Make it redirect already. -Xbony2 (talk) 01:15, 18 June 2016 (UTC)
Can I just say I find hilarious that you dab? -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 03:01, 18 June 2016 (UTC)
It's part of North Carolina culture. -Xbony2 (talk) 11:05, 18 June 2016 (UTC)


Curator for Moritz30's mods

I'd like to appoint myself as curator for my mods (actually MoreFood and MegaMod). I'll actively maintain the documentation of my mods. They weren't updated for a while but I'll publish updates for them soon. - Moritz30

Awesome ^_^ btw, make sure to sign yourself with four tides (~~~~). Retep/Santa will give you the rights soon. -Xbony2 (talk) 16:35, 6 July 2016 (UTC)
Thanks - Moritz30 (talk) 16:40, 6 July 2016 (UTC)Moritz30
I did things. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 17:20, 6 July 2016 (UTC)
Yes, Thanks - Moritz30 (talk) 18:21, 6 July 2016 (UTC)Moritz30


DAC appointment

I am officially appointing myself to document my mods. -- ScottKillen [⌨] 19:39, 20 July 2016 (UTC)

  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport. You seem to understand wikitext and have a passion for editing. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 21:57, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport: Nice to see some new enthusiasm helping documenting new mods Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 22:29, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport. -Xbony2 (talk) 00:03, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 00:44, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport Seems legit. -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 02:10, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport --sokratis12GR Staff 07:39, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport: I have seen that you love documenting mods and you are good at creating them. And as people say: "The more the merrier." IndestructiblePharaohVII 13:29, 21 July 2016 (UTC)

DAC appointment

I'm officially appointing ScottKillen to document my mods Advanced Generators and Pressure Pipes. -- Bdew (talk) 21:53, 20 July 2016 (UTC)

  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport. ScottKillen seems to understand wikitext and has a passion for editing. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 21:58, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport: Nice to see some new enthusiasm helping documenting new mods Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 22:29, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport. -Xbony2 (talk) 00:03, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 00:45, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport Leems segit. -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 02:10, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Pictogram voting support.pngSupport --sokratis12GR Staff 07:39, 21 July 2016 (UTC)

Extension:SpriteSheet

There are times when a tilesheet is not practical, but a small set of sprites on one sheet would help boost performance. Can we install this extension for that purpose? The extension was created by Curse specifically for gamepedia. -- ScottKillen [⌨] 02:51, 22 July 2016 (UTC)

That is already what tilesheets are for. I can't think of any times where a tilesheet wouldn't be practical but a spritesheet would. They both do effectively the same thing in different ways. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 02:54, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
As you pointed out over at Feed The Beast Wiki:Tilesheet requests full tilesheets larger than 32x are not practical. Quality editing can include lots more than 32x graphics, but if spritesheets must always be tilesheets and tilesheets must always include almost all blocks and items from a mod, then surely there are many situations where giving an editor the ability to combine other images into an spritesheet that is smaller than a tilesheet would be desirable. If they don't use the tool then nothing changes, but a web savvy editor can increase page performance. What is the downside to that? Curse designed the extension for just this situation.
To give you an example, consider Turbine (Advanced Generators). A stylesheet that is not a full tilesheet would be ideal here. -- ScottKillen [⌨] 03:22, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
If we did want to create a tilesheet with only a few items from a mod, we could do that. It would need a separate abbreviation, but definitely possible with the current system. I suppose if you dump the icons at 128x128 and then delete everything except the blocks you want, we could make a separate 64px tilesheet specifically for them. What do you think TheSatanicSanta? πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 03:30, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
It seems a lot of work for someone to create a new tile sheet every time. Also, the tilesheet functionality is overkill here (we don't need name mapping or translation). Rhe wikitext determines the dimensions of the slice that is used, so unlike tilesheet, a spritesheet can contain mixed resolutions. Imagine if the example page I gave also included a GUI or two, which happened to be slices of the same spritesheet containing the block images. One spritesheet as opposed to 10 image loads and a large performance savings. -- ScottKillen [⌨] 03:40, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Wait. Why can't you make a 64 tilesheet out of 64x images? -- ScottKillen [⌨] 04:17, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Because I like to downscale the images so that they are anti aliased? That's why I ask for 64x64 images for the 32px and 16px tilesheets. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 04:20, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Of course! The old anti alias ploy. Jolly Good. :) -- ScottKillen [⌨] 04:22, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Plus my program actually accounts for the non linear nature of sRGB so it actually resizes images correctly (unlike 99% of software out there). As of recently it also accounts for the fact that NEI renders translucent icons against a black background with the wrong blending mode, particularly noticeable for fluids (See User:Retep998/Translucent for an example). πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 04:41, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
For this instance, a new sheet would work, but it's also a small enough mod that I don't think having a 64 sheet with all the icons would be problematic. I also don't really want to clutter the mod list with a bunch of ABBRV-BIG sheets (or whatever style we decide to do). I also don't see how creating a new sheet for big icons would solve the problem with other mods that are planned to use the large icons for their infoboxes. It may for GT since it adds so much meta shit that wouldn't show up in infoboxes, but for other big mods like Witchery and Immersive Engineering, it really wouldn't solve the problem. -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 04:27, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
If the mod is small enough then yes we could just add a third size to the existing tilesheet. It's the big mods that I am worried about. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 04:41, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
I agree, Retep998, so what is the downside of this extension? Also, as I mentioned, it seems a lot to go through when the name mapping features of a tilesheet are not required. In such a case, wouldn't the overhead of {{P}} and loading a full tilesheet counteract the performance savings of just having a spritesheet with 8 images? -- ScottKillen [⌨] 04:50, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
If we want to have a 64px tilesheet with just those 8 icons, we already can do that. If we want to have a 64px tilesheet with all of ADVG on it, we can also do that. Really the only reason I see the spritesheet extension could be useful is for situations where you have a lot of mixed resolutions. Everything else we can just abuse tilesheets or plain images. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 04:56, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
I can't state the case any better that I have and it seems the answer here is always gonna be "Tilesheets can do it." and over on Tilesheet requests we will have to request and debate the necessity of every tilesheet (because even though they can do it there is obviously a huge cost involved)...when meanwhile all I really wanted to do with my time here is create stellar content. I don't need Spritesheets, but they are relatively common in modern web design and I thought I was helping solve a concern that TheSatanicSanta had about performance...but I can make great content and then let you guys worry about performance...so I'm going to drop this and get back to creating content. Thanks all of you for sticking with this up to this point. OK...back to wikitext. -- ScottKillen [⌨] 05:26, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
I really don't want to discourage you. Both tilesheets and spritesheets involve having an image divided into multiple smaller images. It's just that we already have the tilesheet extension and it is already integrated into everything, and given two identical sheets the performance of using tilesheets is no worse than spritesheets. Really the big decision just comes down to whether we want a sheet with all of the mod at 64px, or just some specific stuff at 64px, or having them be individual images. Honestly, I doubt we'll come to any sort of standardized conclusion any time soon. Sorry for this mess. In the mean time just be bold. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 05:38, 22 July 2016 (UTC)

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜ <BOLD> You are right that both are essentially the same technique (the CSS parses the image on the browser side of things)...however, tilesheets have these limitations:

  • Must follow a strict cramped naming scheme.
  • Must be created by staff.
  • Images must be homogenous size.
  • Slices must be named.
  • Slice names must be translated.
  • Server must perform filename lookup and tile name lookup and translate to css for proper slicing.

Spritesheets have none of those limitations and the following advantages:

  • Server simply creates proper css.
  • Any image can be sliced.
  • No staff must be involved.

Now these three advantage give editors the power to do some pretty snazzy stuff quickly...and at the end of the day that is how we retain editors. Having to stop and request tilesheets and wait for them and maybe not get a response and maybe have to justify why you need someone to do all that work for you and maybe getting turned down...all of these things interrupt workflow, threaten creativity and make editors think that maybe all of that bureaucracy isn't worth it... I'm just sayin'...

Additionally, their is no risk from abuse. I am finding myself hard=pressed to imagine an abuse situation...and it can't easily replace {{P}}, so it can't even be abused in that way.

As far as tilesheets being integrated into everything...that is right and I am not proposing that this replace tilesheets...but I read the install instructions and this literally takes minutes to be fully installed and ready to use and available to those who can use it and out of their way if not.

As far as an identical tilesheet and spritesheet...client load time might be the same, but tilesheets with their name lookups and translations definitely incur a higher cost to serve the page. But the whole point really is that tilesheets and spritesheets won't be identical. Spritesheets are a delicate ballpeen and tilesheets are a fifty-pound sledge.</BOLD> OK...I've finally said my peace. I'll say no more and defer to the powers that be. -- ScottKillen [⌨] 06:17, 22 July 2016 (UTC)


Maybe I'm oversimplifying stuff but it might be possible to use some dumb template + css trick? make a template that loads a file as a background image with {{filepath:}} and use css to get the right sprite? might be worth a shot if we just need a simple solution. -- 06:22, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Scottkillen makes a good point there too. Very thoughtful, I like it. -- 06:33, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
I'm not sure what you mean by slice names having to be translated. If you're referring to the tile translation system, that is entirely optional.
Here are some performance numbers I quickly whipped up just so we have an idea of how heavy weight tilesheets actually are on the server. Basically it looks like it is around 1 millisecond per call.
{{P}} calls Real time usage
1 0.014
2 0.019
4 0.02
8 0.032
16 0.028
32 0.079
64 0.104
128 0.204
256 0.231
512 0.809
1024 0.854
2048 3.301
4096 5.118
Anyway, if you can convince TheSatanicSanta to convince Gamepedia to install that spritesheet extension, go for it. I'm not strongly opposed. πŸ‡Retep998πŸ‡πŸ°Bunny Overlord🐰 06:34, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
I'm not opposed either. I will talk to someone about it tomorrow unless someone objects between right now and when I have my coffee in the morning. -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 06:42, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Thank you all! -- ScottKillen [⌨] 06:57, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Completely forgot to ask about this today. Will do it tomorrow, I promise -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 07:56, 23 July 2016 (UTC)

SpriteSheet is enabled, Scottkillen. -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 19:14, 23 July 2016 (UTC)

Never mind. It's broken. I shall now wait for someone to fix stuff. -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 19:16, 23 July 2016 (UTC)

DAC

I know its kinda silly, but I want to approve myself as a curator of all TheDragonTeam Mods --sokratis12GR Staff 04:41, 2 August 2016 (UTC)

this is not necessary -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 16:04, 2 August 2016 (UTC)
Uh, why not though? TheDragonTeam mods are not strictly sokratis' mods. -Xbony2 (talk) 20:04, 2 August 2016 (UTC)
It's like how you and me (mostly me) are DAC for FSP. It doesn't need some special vote or anything, it just is. -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 18:08, 3 August 2016 (UTC)

Mods that need devoted editors

Hey guys. What mods do you think need devoted editors? These would be kind of like mod-appointed developers, except that they would be recruited by higher-up FTB Staff Members. My current list goes something like:

  • All SlimeKnights mods (Tinkers' Construct, Tinkers' Mechworks, Tinkers' Steelworks, Natura)
  • Engineer's Toolbox
  • All CoFH mods (Thermal Expansion of all notable versions, Thermal Foundation, CoFH Core, etc)
  • Thaumcraft of all versions
  • Mekanism
  • Universal Electricity mods

Please provide your thoughts. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 21:28, 11 November 2015 (UTC)

Pictogram voting oppose.pngNo on Universal Electricity. That mod is dead. -Xbony2, Master of Feed The Beast Wiki (talk) 22:17, 11 November 2015 (UTC) oh and...

-Xbony2, Master of Feed The Beast Wiki (talk) 22:20, 11 November 2015 (UTC)

--LuminousLizard de-native / "en-B2" (talk) 09:50, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

I already mentioned that xd -Xbony2 (talk) 12:54, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
Sorry ... should only mean that I'm working something about it. --LuminousLizard de-native / "en-B2" (talk) 20:17, 1 January 2016 (UTC)

Final list for slow

Mods

I have been working on Tinkers' Construct a bit and Tinkers' Steelworks, and plan on being more active now to continue work. I'll gladly work on the other SlimeKnights mods once I finish the two Tinkers' –KnightMiner t/c 03:36, 20 February 2016 (UTC)
I'll start documenting Tinkers' Construct very soon, because I saw no progress made to it and TiC (Tinkers' Construct) in 1.9 have major changes that must be documented. --sokratis12GR Staff 05:17, 4 June 2016 (UTC)
I'll gladly deal with these, I'm already working on RoC, ReC is coming soon once I get home. (Need the tilesheet files, which are on my home pc). ChromatiCraft is the only mod I'm unfamiliar with, so someone else may have to do it or let it wait a bit until I become familiar with it. Up to you guys. Luke14199 (talk) 11:09, 10 January 2016 (UTC)

Getting Started Guide writer(s)

General Guide writers

I have a plan to write a ChromatiCraft guide in the near future. Luke14199 (talk) 10:19, 19 February 2016 (UTC)

Anything else you or the modpack team deem necessary. We also need translators of all languages, and general editors of all types.

-- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 22:16, 29 December 2015 (UTC)

More reliable communications with the rest of the organization. -PaladinAHOne Staff (talk) 20:50, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
meh -Xbony2 (talk) 21:50, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
I'd recommend using the teamspeak we have tbh, anyone working on the same project could communicate more efficiently. Admins could have their own channel, etc etc. Or if this is not an option, perhaps we could setup a forum or subforum somewhere? Just my 2 cents. Luke14199 (talk) 11:03, 10 January 2016 (UTC)
Teamspeak is kind of annoying because not everyone can use a microphone. We have Slack and IRC right now and it seems to be doing okay. We do have a subforum, along with the wiki staff's own barely-used hidden subforum. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 11:48, 10 January 2016 (UTC)
The wiki staff are super-crazy, I don't want to talk to them :P -Xbony2 (talk) 13:24, 10 January 2016 (UTC)
How much do you want ComputerCraft covered here? It does have an official wiki written by a large group of ComputerCraft fans (including myself), and I'd prefer not to have duplicate information between the two wikis. I would suggest having just a basic description of the features here, and leaving all content related to programming in ComputerCraft Lua to the official wiki. –KnightMiner t/c 03:36, 20 February 2016 (UTC)
This wiki is basically meant to include all information about all mods ever... which includes lua programming in ComputerCraft. It just wouldn't be complete without it. -Xbony2 (talk) 13:09, 20 February 2016 (UTC)
It may not be complete without it, but there still is the issue that covering ComputerCraft in its entirety would basically make this wiki be competing with with official wiki, and do we really want another case of multiple wikis competing to cover modded Minecraft?. Also, the majority of ComputerCraft fans seem to already contribute to the official wiki, so it would be a lot harder to get contributors here (on a personal case, I really could not write articles on the available APIs without copying from the official wiki, as nearly everything I know about programming in ComputerCraft comes directly from the official wiki).
Maybe we could include programming as it relates to other mods, such as a lot of the information on OpenPeripherals, and some tutorials might be relevant, but leave the specific functions and APIs to an interwiki link? –KnightMiner t/c 21:56, 20 February 2016 (UTC)
I agree with you that we should keep API docs to the CC wiki. However, that isn't to say we can't have very detailed articles about CC. -- SatanicSantaFTB Wiki Admin 22:16, 20 February 2016 (UTC)
This wiki is meant to be all-encompassing; linking to the CC wiki for the API docs and whatnot is fine, but that doesn't mean documenting those APIs here isn't something that can't be done and doesn't mean that that documenting the APIs here isn't something that isn't on the "ultimate TODO list" or "ultimate agenda" of the wiki. -Xbony2 (talk) 01:28, 21 February 2016 (UTC)

New editor retention, an invitation

As former wiki lead, I invite everyone to participate in the discussion on the issue of editor retention: Admin's noticeboard -- Jin. (so xbony2 doesn't think i'm jc)

The Wiki's look via mobile

This is a question and suggestion about the mobile look. To start, via mobile you can't access Special pages like Recent Changes and such except if you search their full names. Other thing is tang you can't open stacked up changes for a page, I mean that the button doesn't work as intended, you have again manually to look for the change you want, or look it via viewing all the changes until you find the right one. Other thing is that you can't access page's talk or go to other.pages like, http://ftb.gamepedia.com/user:sokratis12GR and http://ftb.gamepedia.com/UserProfile:sokratis12GR you once again have to search this things. Other thing that's really bad is "sections", for achievements, sub headers and such. They are pretty bad , especially on user profiles and talk pages --(sokratis12GR, My Phone) --94.69.171.110 14:42, 5 July 2016 (UTC)

Yeah, the mobile situation is bad \o/ -Xbony2 (talk) 15:04, 5 July 2016 (UTC)
Not being access the special pages is annoying, but from an end user perspective, the issue is {{Gc}} doesn't show up, and navboxes don't either. It makes navigation even more clunky and frustrating, as well as defeating the point of most pages as the {{Gc}} that is in the infobox and crafting template(s) is normally the most useful part because people want to know what the item/block looks like and how it's made, which on mobile you just aren't shown. Chocohead Nagβ€’ Editsβ€’ Staff 15:21, 5 July 2016 (UTC)
Another things that are really bad mostly for editing are that you can really easily by mistake click the back button while editing and you will lose your entire edit/page creations, because there is no warning to stop you, other shitty thing is that your text is overlayed with somewhat transparent black color, I can list a lot more things that needs to be fixed/changed, other thing also is that whenever you have added a page to your "Watch list" they aren't shown like they are watched. Well I think Cblair92 can help fix this issue --sokratis12GR Staff 18:19, 5 July 2016 (UTC)
Tis Cblair91. Well, Developaws, but it doesn't seem her account's name has fully migrated.
Editing pages doesn't really work on mobile in general. I don't think that's going to be improved much, but viewing pages certainly. -Xbony2 (talk) 00:33, 6 July 2016 (UTC)
About wiki's look via mobile. Because of CSS not working on mobile makes pages look ugly and don't have a structure, other thing is that templates & modules override their place and load exactly where they are added, like a Babel info if added in the middle of 2 Sections it will be written inside the one section and won't have lines or "ending points" which are would be better if they were there for the reader --sokratis12GR Staff 11:04, 6 July 2016 (UTC)
Also, I other thing I want to add is, take a look at https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/ It is more otginized for mobile and they also have a mobile app on Google play . Which is really well done for mobile (some things still arent). --sokratis12GR Staff 11:10, 6 July 2016 (UTC)

Necessity of the staff system

This wiki is known for the editorial staff system which is rarely met on other wikis. I don’t like inequalities that I sometimes see between the staff users and regular ones, but there comes a bigger question: is this staff system necessary at all? Minecraft Wiki doesn’t use it. Memory Alpha (the main Star Trek wiki) doesn’t use it. Wikipedia doesn’t use it. And they are all working well.

So I propose to avoid excess bureaucratization and break the current backbone of this wiki, so a more democratic system takes its place. As a compensation, if the staff system is going to be removed, I propose to do these things:

  • Grant full administrator (not bureaucrat) status to Xbony2, and possibly Chocohead.
  • Add reupload, editoredict, edittilesheets, translatetiles and all move* rights to autoconfirmed users. importoredict and importtilesheets should remain for administrators, number of whom will be already increased.

β€”Β NickTheRed37 (talk) 16:08, 14 July 2016 (UTC)

what inequalities exactly? -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 17:01, 14 July 2016 (UTC)
Inequalities such as votes where only staff members can participate in. Approval of a new staff member, for example, has to be discussed by everyone. β€”Β NickTheRed37 (talk) 17:05, 14 July 2016 (UTC)
do non staff even want to vote for staff members though? There aren't really votes that non staff members are excluded from that they'd even care to participate in. I can't remember if we still do this, but we used to encourage everyone to participate in staff votes-- turns out non staff members care more about content than user rights. I think at most we had 1 non staff member participate in a staff vote. -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 17:34, 14 July 2016 (UTC)
If we had non-staff that did vote, we'd honestly probably just let them vote. -Xbony2 (talk) 18:44, 14 July 2016 (UTC)
Anyway, I very strongly do not trust regular users with oredict/tilesheet rights. They are technical and easily abusable. And I do not want those rights to remain with three administrators, particularly when two of those administrators' activity happens to resemble the moon. This is one of the reasons we have staff, among a few others.
I've talked a good bit about merging administrator and bureaucrat. I just don't understand why you trust me with your personal JavaScript but don't trust me with access to assigning groups. That just seems silly to me. -Xbony2 (talk) 18:53, 14 July 2016 (UTC)

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜ You are being very inconsistent here xbony. You claim that we have staff because we don't trust regular users with the oredict/tilesheet extension (is this reason a priori? Staff came way before these extensions.) yet you claim that we should trust admins automatically with bureaucrat rights. I don't know you too well as I've only interacted with you a few days, but the impression I get from your response is that you're just salty that your aren't admin and bureaucrat.

The difference in responsibility between staff and editors is virtually nothing when compared to that between admin/bureaucrat. You have been against removing staff rank but you're for merging admin and bureaucrat together. Your argument is even more absurd when put into this perspective: "I don't understand why you trust me with your personal JavaScript but don't trust me with access to assigning group". I don't see any logical connection between trusting you with javascript and trusting you with groups. If I following along with your line of thought, I should be giving staff ranks to editors because "I trust them not to screw up". Personally, I find your position and motivation to be highly suspicious.

To sum up your argument in one sencence: The tilesheet/oredict extensions are more abusable than bureaucrat rights. Which is totally absurd.

This comment was reworded for clarity. -- 04:04, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
uwot
Tilesheet/oredict stuff is not the only reason we have staff. It's just one of them. Patrolling, staff protection and banning are some of the other reasons- rights that certainly don't fit into my "editor" group (or autoconfirmed or whatever), and that shouldn't be restricted to the one and half admins. There's also other reasons we staff that aren't really related right-related; staff is partially more of a "title group" in that sense. Welcoming newcomers, making sure templates are made and applied right, making sure translations are done right, etc, stuff that non-staff don't do.
I am quite salty about that. I'm also quite salty that you're calling me an ignorant asshole. I'm also quite salty that I'm the only staff participating in these debates, that none of the staff have really stepped in to defend or rebuke me. But, it's more than that.
Anyway, JavaScript access, adminship in general, shows a very high level of trust. Admins can nuke user contributions. Admins can insert malware into the global JS. What greater level trust is there? Letting the admin raise your babies? :P (I'm not open for that by the way, in case you couldn't tell I was joking). I don't think assigning groups is a greater level of trust, but if it is, it is not by much at all.
Tilesheet and OreDict rights are abusable, but also technical. The trust is in both not abusing it, and not breaking it. If a user edits a hundred pages incorrectly, then we can nuke their contributions. If a user edits a hundred ore dictionary requests incorrectly, then we're shit screwed, and I have to spend an hour reverting their changes.
Btw, if it happens to interest you, my wiki survey shows that, so far, people who don't contribute very much don't contribute very much for a number of reasons. Lack of time is the leading reasons at the moment, with 19 votes, followed by lack of interest with 11 votes. Complex and unfair groups? Zero votes. You'd think it would get at least one vote, but I guess not. Users can select multiple reasons, btw, before someone accuses me of fucking that up. I'm not ready to release the full results yet, or call them full results (going to on August 1st), but this the group situation is one you (and me too, to be fair) have made a much greater fuss about than users really care about it. -Xbony2 (talk) 11:55, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
That’s why I suggest assigning a few new administrators, so their number increases to at least four (SatanicSanta, Retep998, you (Xbony2), Chocohead). Speaking of bureaucrats, if we want someone with rights assigned, and no bureaucrats are active, we can always talk to Curse.
Welcoming new users and checking what is done correctly can be done by anybody. I myself once welcomed a few users in Russian Minepedia, although I didn’t have any rank or title. Added in 14:06, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
I have an idea: create separate user groups for ones that are permitted to edit either tilesheets or OreDict database, if not more. That’s similar to Wikipedia: there are separate groups for users with auto-patrolled edits, patrollers, rollbackers, ones that can rename without making redirects, β€œtemplate editors” (ones who can edit some protected templates) and (as I’ve seen in Russian Wikipedia) even ones that can upload files. We already have something like that, in the form of banhammer user group. Similar thing can be made here.
Tilesheet editors (tilesheeteditor, new usergroup)
  • Edit entries for the OreDict extension (editoredict)
  • Translate tile names and descriptions for the Tilesheets extension (translatetiles)
OreDict editors (oredicteditor, new usergroup)
  • Edit tile data for the Tilesheets extension (edittilesheets)
Administrators (sysop, additions to existing group)
  • Add groups: Tilesheet editors, OreDict editors
  • Remove groups: Tilesheet editors, OreDict editors
β€”Β NickTheRed37 (talk) 14:00, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
P. S. Special:Nuke is for deleting new pages, not reverting new edits. β€”Β NickTheRed37 (talk) 14:06, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
Yuck. I'd rather not have staff rights be cut up into pieces. Part of my group proposal seeks to eliminate that.
Also- there's something I disagree with you on, that I'd like to mention. Wikipedia and Wiktionary do have staff- it's just they're called administrators, bureaucrats and stewards there. The staff here are like the administrators there, but without access to JS and a few other tools. -Xbony2 (talk) 14:33, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
You’re lying. Majority of active editors on Wikipedia seem to be simple users. β€”Β NickTheRed37 (talk) 15:30, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
I didn't say otherwise. But the "staff" there are the same as the staff in the fact they administer the wiki. -Xbony2 (talk) 15:49, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
Then why we need a separate usergroup? I, once again, think that assigning new administrators, introducing the new microgroups that I proposed, and respreading the responsibilites will do the thing. β€”Β NickTheRed37 (talk) 16:26, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
But why have all the sloppy microgroups when you can roll it all in one group?
Also, random thing I noticed- technically, there's no written rule that states non-staff can't vote, at least any that I could find. It is a written rule of my group proposal, though, but I'll probably remove it; I personally don't see a problem with non-staff voting, even though they generally haven't expressed a desire to vote. -Xbony2 (talk) 16:50, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
Because the system will become more flexible when using them. Think yourself: why do we have the banhammer group if we could otherwise incorporate the only right it gives (the right to block users) into the staff usergroup? β€”Β NickTheRed37 (talk) 17:03, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
to whoever suggested having curse folks assign groups (I'm on mobile): that's a horrible idea. They have plenty of other shit to deal with, so it might take much longer than if me or Peter are to do it. I only really bother them when extensions get updates (mostly Tilesheets and OreDict-- HeaderCount rarely updates and they handle most other extensions globally). Also, editors get the translate tiles right, by the way. It's significantly less powerful than the other Tilesheets rights. -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 18:11, 15 July 2016 (UTC)
I do want to put the banhammer right into the staff group. That's part of my proposal.
I think Nick means Curse can assigns groups if we really need it, like if you and Retep get got or something. -Xbony2 (talk) 19:59, 15 July 2016 (UTC)

See also Feed The Beast Wiki:Administrators' Noticeboard#New editor retention, a related discussion which hypothesizes that existence of editorial staff hinders input of new users, and Feed The Beast Wiki:Centralized discussion#Group overhaul proposal (the successor to this discussion) on a proposal to revise the group system in a way that eliminates the staff as a β€œtitle group” (most of its rights are intented to be inherited by the non-titular β€œeditor” group). β€”Β NickTheRed37 (talk) 15:03, 4 August 2016 (UTC)

Cg and tile request

First person to do all the above gets cookies. Developaws (talk) 08:30, 20 July 2016 (UTC)

The tilesheet images you've provided are broken o-o black backgrounds, some tiles not being rendered at all. I'll see if I can re-dump them and get back to you. -Xbony2 (talk) 12:21, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
Can you provide the actual GUI images from the assets instead of in-game screenshots? -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 18:47, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
No from what I remember, since it's generated by a combination of components and stuff. -Xbony2 (talk) 01:22, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
Galacticraft done (abbreviated under GAL) -Xbony2 (talk) 01:50, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
Gah that's infuriating. Most GUIs are made from a combination of components, but at least they stay on the same damn image! -- SatanicSantaπŸŽ…FTB Wiki Admin 02:44, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
Mekanism tilesheet done ^_^ (abbreviated under MEK). I'm happy to do the templates, but Retep gets mad when I make Cg images so I'll leave that part to him. -Xbony2 (talk) 16:33, 21 July 2016 (UTC)


FTB Infinity Evolved

Should we add the recipes for the OP items in the Expert mode? For example the Creative Energy cell uses a massive recipe with a TON of mod items, (which are highly end game), but this recipe is still relevant. LC14199 - Curator of Reika's Mods (talk) 00:28, 30 September 2016 (UTC)

If you can. It's not a requirement for a page or anything, though. -Xbony2 (talk) 00:37, 30 September 2016 (UTC)
It would require a new template though, the Dire Crafting Table is a massive crafting table. LC14199 - Curator of Reika's Mods (talk) 11:25, 1 October 2016 (UTC)
No it wouldn't :P (also relevant syntax, you would replace the Crafting Table template with the Dire Crafting Table template) -Xbony2 (talk) 11:54, 1 October 2016 (UTC)