As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
High Speed is a concept introduced early on by Railcraft. Certain tracks allow you to travel at a greater maximum speed than normal rails. This however comes with a trade-off. It is dangerous. You can die if you don't design your lines correctly.
Ways to die[edit | edit source]
when first starting off you must use High Speed Booster Tracks or the High Speed Transition Tracks to accelerate your cart to High Speed. It should take several such rails to reach max speed.
If at any time your minecart leaves the high speed rails without first slowing down you will experience a deadly crash that will harm both you and the surrounding terrain. The same will happen if you hit anything (mobs, blocks, players, other minecarts, etc...) or attempt to navigate a turn. To prevent this from happening there are two types of high speed rails capable of slowing you down to a safe velocity. These are the High Speed Booster Tracks and the High Speed Transition Tracks. By strategically placing these rails you can slow your minecart to speeds that will allow you to safely return to normal rails or exit the cart. Though when travelling at full speed it can often take nine or ten of these rails to do so.
Another consideration is the fact that you can only travel at high speed if your line has no corners. While normal High Speed Rails can make corners and switches, attempting to traverse these without first reducing speed will result once again in death and destruction. So as before use Booster and Transition rails to slow you down before you reach a corner. Switches on the other hand only require you to slow if you want to take the diverging line. You must however use a Switch Motor or Switch Lever for this to work, vanilla Minecraft T-Switches will likely result in death no matter which way they are switched.
Hints[edit | edit source]
- Place unpowered High-Speed Booster Rails or High Speed Transition Rails before a corner, switch, or disembarking platform to slow your minecart. Will often require upwards of eight or more.
- Elevate your High Speed Rails to keeps mobs off the tracks. Stone Posts make awesome looking monorails.
- Encase your High Speed Rails in glass to form safe and scenic routes.
- Animals only spawn on grass, mobs only spawn in the dark. This knowledge will help you design your lines.
- Locomotives will kill any mobs on the tracks without danger of wrecking.
- Locomotives still require Booster and Transition Tracks to operate at High Speed.
- Slopes on High Speed lines are now viable due to the removal of velocity tracking, making it safer to travel down slopes and less likely to spontaneously combust.